From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
John Ortberg, Jr. (1957-) is an evangelical Christian author, speaker, and senior pastor of Menlo Park Presbyterian Church in Menlo Park near Stanford
University in California, an evangelical church. Ortberg earned his M.Div. and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from
Fuller Theological Seminary. From 1994 he served as a teaching pastor at Willow Creek Community Church until 2003,
when he assumed his current role at Menlo Park Presbyterian Church, a multi-campus church in Northern California with more than 4,000 members. Ortberg has published many books.
A central theme of his teaching and books is spiritual formation, the transforming of human character through authentic
experiences with God.
Ortberg has been a featured speaker at many events, including Global Leadership Summit in 2002, 2007, 2008 and 2012.
- Grace: An Invitation to a Way of Life (2000, with Laurie Pederson and Judson Poling)
- If You Want To Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat, 2001
- Love Beyond Reason, 2001
- The Life You've Always Wanted, 2002
- Everybody's Normal Till You Get To Know Them, 2003
- Living the God Life: Finding God's Extraordinary Love in Your Ordinary Life, 2004
- God Is Closer Than You Think: If God is Always with Us, why is He So Hard to Find? 2005
- Now What? God's Guide to Life for Graduates: God's Guide to Life for Graduates, 2005
- When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box, 2007, 2009
- Know Doubt, 2008
- The Me I Want To Be: Becoming God's Best Version of You, 2009
- Who Is This Man?: The Unpredictable Impact of the Inescapable Jesus, 2012
- If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat, 2014
- Soul Keeping: Caring For the Most Important Part of You (2014)
- How I Changed My Mind about Evolution (2016) cowriter with 24
The word Monvee is a creative take on the Latin, meaning one life. Monvee which is billed as The Future Of Spiritual Formation, is a innovative
use of technology providing customized spiritual growth plans that take into account your learning style, your personality, your spiritual pathway, your
stage of life and your signature sin. Monvee began in 2007 in Rockford, Illinois in the context of a local church. John Ortberg's book The Me I Want To Be:
Becoming God's Best Version of You, 2009 is being released in conjunction with Monvee. The foundational book for the Monvee movement is Frequency:
Discovering Your Connection to God (2012) by Eric Parks and Casey Bankord and with a foreword by John Ortberg. Eric Parks is the co-founder and president
of Monvee.Casey Bankord is an integral part of the team that birthed the idea of Monvee.
Monvee is bigger than a internet-based application. Monvee is about becoming the best version of YOU
that God designed. The Monvee experience begins with an assessment that is nothing like you have seen before! From this assessment, you will receive
specific feedback on how you are wired spiritually. Next, Monvee walks you through a customized process to build your unique growth plan based upon how you
are wired. Then, Monvee stays with you! Through your personalized Dashboard, you can monitor your progress, retake assessment, add activities to your plan and
Monvee is endorsed by John Ortberg, Bob Buford and Jud Wilhite, the program is designed to be both comprehensive and personalized.
The program has gone bankrupt according to posts on Monvee's Facebook page. The website is down.
- Bob Buford: “What we need is a diagnostic device to find out what the customer needs at different stages in their
development in a life of faith, and what it looks like we have now is that device.”
- Dallas Willard's books and words have been most influential for John Ortberg.
- Dallas Willard's Hearing God includes a companion DVD with six 30-minute sessions that incorporate teaching
from Willard along with conversations with Richard Foster and John Ortberg about conversations with God.
- John Ortberg endorsed the contemplative book The Papa Prayer (2006) by Larry Crabb together with Brian McLaren,
Tony Campolo, Bob Buford, Brennan Manning and
John Ortberg back cover endorsed The Life
with God (A Renovare Resource)
- John Ortberg wrote the foreword in The Dangerous act of Worship: Living God's Call to Justice (2012) by Mark Labberton. Mark Labberton is president
of Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California. He previously served as Lloyd John Ogilvie chair for preaching
and director of the Lloyd John Ogilvie Institute for Preaching. The book is endorsed by Richard J. Mouw.
- Transforming Discipleship: Making Disciples a Few at a Time (2003) by Greg Ogden was back cover endorsed by John Ortberg,
Bob Buford and Robert Webber.
- If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat,
(2014) was back cover endorsed by Dallas
Willard, Bob Buford and Lee
Pages directing here: