Japhet De Oliveira
Japhet De Oliveira (1972-) earned his BA in theology and an MA in religion with a certificate in church growth from Andrews University on the Newbold College campus. He is currently considering which doctoral program to pursue.
He comes from England where he served as Youth Director for the South England Conference of Seventh-day Adventists 2003-2006. He served as Director for the Center for Youth Evangelism 2006-2012. He served as University Chaplain at Andrews University, leading faith development on campus for students
(2012-2013) and supporting faculty and staff and as Senior Pastor for the One Place community on Campus. He was also an adjunct professor in youth ministry at the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary. From 2014 he serves as senior pastor at Boulder Seventh-day Adventist Church in Boulder, Colorado.
The1Project - the official site
The Philosophy of THE ONE PROJECT, by Japhet de Oliveira is found on:
The document has 8 References:
- Jim Belcher, (2009). Deep church: A third way beyond emerging and traditional. (not mentioned in the text) Endorsed by Scot McKnight, Mark Oestreicher (president Youth Specialties) and Alan Hirsch among others.
- Kenda Creasy Dean, (2010). Almost Christian: What the faith of our teenagers is telling the American church. Kenda Creasy Dean is an United Methodist and professor of youth, church, and culture at Princeton Theological Seminary.
- Edwin H. Friedman, (2007). A failure of nerve: Leadership in the age of the quick fix. He was an ordained Jewish Rabbi and a family therapist.
- Michael Frost, & Alan Hirsch, (2009). ReJesus: A wild messiah for a missional church
- Gabe Lyons, (2010). The next Christians: The good news about the end of Christian America. Gabe Lyons is an emergent writer who promotes the restoration of the Kingdom of God here and now, beginning a new age of hope on this earth.
- Erwin McManus, (2008). Wide awake: The future is waiting within you.
- Simon O. Sinek, (2009). Start with why: How great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action. He is an author best known for popularizing the concept of "the golden circle" and to "Start With Why", a simple but powerful model for inspirational leadership all starting with a golden circle and the question "Why?'.
- Ellen White, (1898). The desire of ages
GENERAL CONFERENCE OF SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTISTS
Senior Youth Ministry Handbook
This handbook is the result of hundreds of leaders around the world sharing their experience and knowledge. Special thanks to principle author Japhet De Oliveira for revising the 2005 edition and adding new chapters. Thanks also to the editorial team: Gilbert Cangy, JonatŠn Tejel, Japhet De Oliveira, and Erica Jones.
FOUNDATIONS OF SENIOR YOUTH MINISTRY (Section A)
N. T. Wright and Leonard Sweet is refereced positively on page 18 in a session which is tending much to Kingdom Now theology - i.e. on page 21: The eternal life that begins with confidence in Jesus, through the Holy Spirit is a life in his present Kingdom, now on earth and available to all. The message of the Kingdom of God is good news for our life now, not just for when he comes a second time. It is about living now as his apprentices in Kingdom living. Our future is a natural extension of the faith by which we live now.
PRACTICE OF SENIOR YOUTH MINISTRY (Section B) & PLANNING FOR SENIOR YOUTH MINISTRY (Section C)
Page 74 & 77 & 208: It is our vision to see the emergence of a Seventh-day Adventist youth movement, transitioning from simply church membership to authentic discipleship.
Page 120 & 217: The Emergence of a Global Youth Community, United in Small Groups and Bound to the Wider Church Community.
Page 176 & 219: The Emergence of a Global Youth Movement Living Radically and Dangerously in Mission and Service, Proclaiming and Demonstrating the Kingdom of God.
FURTHER READING (Section D)
[The further reading list is a combined list of books on researches, leadership and ideas. This list is complete.]
- George Barna, Real Teens: A Contemporary Snapshot of Youth Culture (2001)
- George Barna, Transforming Children into Spiritual Champions (2003)
- Mark Batterson, The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears (2011),Endorsed by Craig Groeshcel and John Ortberg.
- Jim Belcher, Deep Church: A Third Way Beyond Emerging and Traditional (2009) Endorsed by Tim Keller, Scot McKnight, Mark Oestreicher, Tony Jones, Alan Hirsch and Ed Stetzer.
- James L. Black, Godís Got a Plan and Iím In it! Silver Spring: (2010.)
- Dean Borgman, When Kumbaya is Not Enough: A Practical Theology for Youth Ministry (1997) Professor Borgman founded and directs the Center for Youth Studies, a national and global network of those interested in research of adolescence and the youth culture.
- Shawn Brace, Pursued by a Relentless God. Nampa: Pacific Press (2011)
- Ori Brafman & Rod A. Beckstrom, The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations (2006)
- Nathan Brown, I Hope (2011) Endorsed by Clifford Goldstein and Stephen Chavez.
- Alex Bryan, The Green Cord Dream: Pursuing Ellen Whiteís Vision of Jesus and His Church (2012)
- J. Budziszewski, How to Stay Christian in College. Colorado Springs: THINK, (2004) Budziszewski is a professor of government and philosophy at the University of Texas.
- Mike Calhoun & Mel Walker, Pushing the Limits: Unleashing the Potential of Student Ministry (2006) Calhoun has a Master of Ministry Degree from Baptist Bible Seminary.
- Tony Campolo, Speaking my Mind: The Radical Evangelical Prophet Tackles the Tough Issues Christians Are Afraid to Face (2004)
- Carson, D. A. Worship by the Book, (2002).Carson is professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, IL.
- Steve Case, Connection: How to Have a Relationship With God. Pacific Press (2009)
- ∑Francis Chan & Danae Yankoski, Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (2008) Endorsed by Louie Giglio. Chan is the founding pastor of Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley, CA.
- Chap Clark, Hurt: Inside the World of Todayís Teenagers (2004)
- Jim Collins & Morten T. Hansen, Great By Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos and Luck - Why Some Thrive Despite Them All (2011)
- Wayne Cordeiro, The Irresistible Church: 12 Traits of a Church Heaven Applauds (2011) Foreword by Bill Hybels.
- Des Cummings and Monica Reed. Creation Health Discovery: Godís Guide to Health and Harmony (2008) Des Cummings is president of the Florida Hospital Foundation and executive vice president for Florida Hospital.
- Jim Cymbala & Jennifer Schuchmann, Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit (2012) Cymbala is an American pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle.
- Kenda Creasy Dean, Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers is Telling the American Church (2010) Dean is assistant professor of youth, church and culture, and director of the School of Christian Education at Princeton Theological Seminary.
- Kenda Creasy Dean, OMG: A Youth Ministry Handbook (2010)
- Kenda Creasy Dean, Practicing Passion, Youth and the Quest For a Passionate Church. (2004)
- Kenda C. Dean, Chap Clark, and Dave Rahn. Starting Right: Thinking Theologically About Youth Ministry, Youth Specialties Academic (2001) Clark is associate professor of youth and family ministries at Fuller Theological Seminary andthe executive admnistrator at Glendale Presbyterian Church. Rahn is professor at educational ministries at Huntington college.
- Mark DeVries, Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do About It (2008) Mark has served as the Associate Pastor for Youth and Their Families at First Presbyterian Church, Nashville.
- Roger L. Dudley, The Complex Religion of Teens. Review and Herald Publishing Association (2007)
- Roger L. Dudley, Why Our Teenagers Leave the Church. Review and Herald Publishing Association (2000)
- Philip W. Eaton, Engaging the Culture, Changing the World: The Christian University in a Post-Christian World. (2011) He is president of Seattle Pacific University.
- John Eldredge, Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Manís Soul (2011) John Eldredge is listed as one of the top 25 Christian leaders who promote contemplative mystics.
- Pamela Erwin, A Critical Approach to Youth Culture: Its Influence and Implications for Ministry (2010) Pamela Erwin is professor of youth ministry and practical theology at Bethel University, St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Doug Fields, Purpose Driven Youth Ministries: 9 Essential Foundations for Healthy Growth. (1998) Doug Fields is a pastor & leadership mentor and is working with Youth Specialties & Azusa Pacific University. Foreword by Rick Warren.
- Doug Fields, Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right. Youth Specialties (2002)
- Doug Fields and Duffy Robbins. Speaking to Teenagers: How to Think About, Create, & Deliver Effective Messages (2007) Duffy Robbins is Professor of Youth Ministry at Eastern University, St Davids, PA. The book is endorsed by Walt Mueller and Dan Lambert.
- Troy Fitzgerald, [Forty Days Wild]. Leadout Ministries, (2011)
- Troy Fitzgerald, Out of the Shipyard: Launching an Effective Youth Ministry. Lincoln: AdventSource (2006)
- Chris Folmsbee, A New Kind of Youth Ministry. Youth Specialties (2007) Foreword by Brian McLaren. Folmsbee is the director of Barefoot Ministries in Kansas City.
- John M. Frame, Worship in Spirit and Truth (1996) He is a Calvinist theologican.
- Michael Frost & Alan Hirsch, ReJesus: A Wild Messiah for a Missional Church (2009) Endorsed by Tony Jones, Greg Boyd and Dan Kimball.
- Roy E. Gane, Nicholas P. Miller and H. Peter Swanson. Homosexuality, Marriage, and the Church. Andrews University Press, (2012)
- Louie Giglio, I Am Not But I Know I Am: Welcome to the Story of God (2005) He earned a Master of Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and is the pastor of Passion City Church, Atlanta, Georgia.
- V. Bailey Gillespie, Perspective on Values. John Hancock Center for Youth and Family Ministry, 1993.
- V. Bailey Gillespie, Michael J. Donahue, and A. Barry Gane. ValueGenesis (Ten Years Later): A Study of Two Generations. Riverside, CA: John Hancock Center, (2004)
- V. Bailey Gillespie and Timothy J. Gillespie. Hey! Love Them and They Will Come: Teens, Young Adults, & Your Church. Riverside, CA: John Hancock Center for Youth and Family Ministry, 2011.
- Stanley J. Grenz, A Primer on Postmodernism (1996)
- Craig Groeschel, Weird: Because Normal Isnít Working (2011)
- Houston Heflin, Youth Pastor: The Theology and Practice of Youth Ministry. (2009) He is Professor at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and expert on Spiritual formation and Youth ministry.
- Alan Hirsch, The Forgotten Ways. (2006) Foreword by
Leonard Sweet. Endorsed by Andrew Jones and Ed Stetzer.
- Alan Hirsch & Debra Hirsch, Untamed: Reactivating a Missional Form of Discipleship (2010) Foreword by Rick Warren. Endorsed by Andrew Jones, Gabe Lyons and Greg Boyd.
- Kyle Idleman, Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus (2011) Front cover endorsement by
Max Lucado. Endorsed by Craig Groeschel.
- Laurie Beth Jones, Jesus, Inc. The Visionary Path: An Entrepreneurís Guide to True Success. (2001) Laurie Beth Jones's business books is written from a spiritual perspective.
- Tony Jones, Postmodern Youth Ministry (2001) Contributions by Doug Pagitt, Leonard Sweet, Mike Yaconelli, Mark Driscoll, Dan Kimball and Brian McLaren.
- Walt Kallestad, Turn Your Church Inside Out (2001) Endorsed by Robert Schuller, Bob Buford and Rick Warren. Walt Kallestad is senior pastor in the Community Church of Joy in Glendale, AZ.
- Timothy Keller, Gospel in Life: Grace Changes Everything (2010) He started Redeemer presbyterian Church in Manhattan in 1989.
- Timothy Keller, Kingís Cross: The Story of the World in The Life of Jesus. New York (2011)
- Dan Kimball, They Like Jesus But Not the Church: Insight from Emerging Generations. (2007) Endorsed by Tony Jones, Leonard Sweet and Mark Oestreicher.
- David Kinnaman, You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church And Rethinking Faith. (2011) President of Barna Group. Among contributors listed are Shane Claiborne, Scot Mcknight and John Ortberg.
- David Kinnaman & Gabe Lyons, Unchristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks About Christianity and Why it Matters (2007) With contribution from Jim Wallis.
- Kelly Monroe Kullberg, Finding God Beyond Harvard: The Quest for Veritas (2006) Kelly Monroe has served as a chaplain to graduate students at Harvard.
- Mark Labberton, The Dangerous Act of Worship: Living God's Call to Justice (2007) Foreword by John Ortberg.
- Dan Lambert, Teaching That Makes a Difference: How to Teach for Holistic Impact (2004) Dan Lambert was associate professor of Youth Ministries at John Brown University in Siloam Springs, AR.
- Gabe Lyons, The Next Christians: How a Generation is Restoring Faith. New York (2010) Close friend of Jason Locy and Tim Willard. Bob Buford is acknowledged. Chapter 11 is named The Next Big Shift. Gabe Lyons also co-writes books with Scot McKnight.
- G. Jeffrey MacDonald, Thieves in the Temple: The Christian Church and the Selling of the American Soul (2010)
- Erwin R. McManus, Seizing Your Divine Moment. Nashville (2002)
- Mark Matlock, Raising Wise Children: Handing Down the Story of Wisdom (2012)
- John C. Maxwell. The 360 Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization (2005)
- Scot McKnight, One.Life: Jesus Calls We Follow (2010) Foreword by Gabe Lyons.
- Donald Miller, Father Fiction: Chapters For a Fatherless Generation (2010)
- Walt Mueller, Engaging the Soul of Youth Culture: Bridging Teen World Views and Christian (2006) He is president for Center for Parent/Youth Understanding.
- Walt Mueller, Youth Culture 101 (2007)
- John Ortberg, If You Want to Walk on Water, Youíve Got to Get Out of the Boat (2001)
- John Ortberg, Who is This Man? The Unpredictable Impact of the Inescapable Jesus (2012) Front cover endorsement by Dallas Willard. Endorsed by Ken Blanchard, Tony Campolo, Shane Claiborne,
Max Lucado, N. T Wright and Philip Yancey.
- Larry Osborne, Sticky Teams. Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page (2010) Endorsed by Bob Buford, Mark Driscoll, Craig Groeschel, John Ortberg and Ed Stetzer.
- Naomi Kohatsu Paget and Janet R. McCormack. The Work of the Chaplain (2006) Naomi Paget is an adjunct professor at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary and Denver Seminary. Janet Rae McCormack is an American Baptist Churches USA clergyperson.
- Fawn Parish, Itís All About You, Jesus: A Fresh Call to An Undistracted Life (2001) Fawn Parish is deeply involved in embracing, encouraging, and educating emerging leaders.
- Duffy Robbins, Building a Youth Ministry That Builds Disciples (2011) He is Professor of Youth Ministry at Eastern University, St Davids, PA
- Duffy Robbins, The Ministry of Nurture. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, (1990) Duffy Robbins, This Way to Youth Ministry. Youth Specialties (2004)
- Duffy Robbins and Len Kageler. This Way to Youth Ministry: Readings, Case Studies, Resources to Begin the Journey (2004)
- Andrew Root, Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry: From A Strategy of Influence to a Theology of Incarnation. (2007) Endorsed by Tony Jones and Walt Mueller. Andrew Root is the Olson Baalson associate professor of youth and family ministry at Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Andrew Root, Andrew and Kenda Creasy Dean, The Theological Turn in Youth Ministry (2011)
- Mark H. Senter, Wesley Black, Chap Clark and Malan Nel, Four Views of Youth Ministry and the Church (2001)
- Mark H. Senter is associate professor of educational ministries a the Deerfield, Illinois, campus of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
- Simon Sinek, Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action (2009) Sinek is an adjunct staff member of the RAND Corporation, one of the most highly regarded think tanks in the world.
- Christian Smith, Soul Searching . (2005) Christian Smith is sociologist at the University of Notre Dame and director of its Center for the Study of Religion and Society.
- Christian Smith, Kari Christoffersen, Hilary Davidson and Patricia Snell Herzog, Lost in Transition: The Dark Side of Emerging Adulthood (2011).
- Christian Smith & Patricia Snell, Souls in Transition: The Religious & Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults (2009)
- Andy Stanley & Stuart Hall, The Seven Checkpoints: Seven Principles Every Teenager Needs to Know (2001) Foreword by Louie Giglio. The sample Lesson Plans developed at North Point Community Church includes notes from Thomas Merton and Henri Nouwen.
- Andy Stanley, Reggie Joiner and Lane Jones, 7 Practices of Effective Ministry (2004) The authors are leaders in North Point Ministries in Atlanta.
- Jeanne Stevens, Soul School: Enrolling in a Soulful Lifestyle for Youth Ministry. (2007) Youth Specialties
- William Strauss & Neil Howe, Millennials Go to College. Second Edition (2007)
- Merton Strommen, Karen E. Jones and Dave Rahn. Youth Ministry That Transforms. Youth Specialties (2001)
- Leonard Sweet,. Carpe MaŮana: Is Your Church Ready to Seize Tomorrow? (2001)
- Leonard Sweet,.Viral: How Social Networking Is Poised to Ignite Revival (2012)
- Myrna Tetz and Gary L. Hopkins, We Can Keep Them in the Church: How to Love Our Children So They Wonít Leave. Nampa: (2004) Pacific Press
- Shane Hipps, The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture: How Media Shapes Faith, the Gospel, and Church. Foreword by Brian Mclaren. P. 7: ęWithout the guidance and encouragement of Tony Jones, this book would have never happened.Ľ
- Denise VanEck, Leadership 101: An Interactive Leadership Development Guide for Students. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005. Denise is currently serving at Mars Hill Bible Church in Michigan (the church Rob Bell founded) as Community Life Pastor.
- Dave Veerman, Daveís Complete Guide to Junior High Ministry. (2001) Presbyterian
- Timothy D. Willard and Jason Locy. Veneer: Living Deeply in a Surface Society.(2011)Endorsed by Scot McKnight. The book promotes mystic meditation. These authors has also authored the free ebook The Sound of Silence.
- Lauren F. Winner, RealSex: The Naked Truth About Chastity. (2005)
- N. T. Wright, Simply Jesus: A New Version of Who He Was. What He Did. And Why He Matters (2011)
- Mike Yaconelli, Stories of Emergence: Moving from Absolute to Authentic (2003) emergentYS Books
- Youth Ministry. Getting it Right (2005)Review and Herald
Pages directing here: